Tuesday, February 26, 2013

The Truly Dark Side of Scientology


A common sentiment in Scientology is the idea that, "You pulled it in." What this statement, in all it's infinite simplicity, means is that everything that happens to you in your life is your fault. If you get sick, contract cancer, are born mentally challenged or are mentally ill it is said to be your fault.

Scientologists lack compassion for anyone who suffers in this life. Any suffering is automatically deemed to be the fault of the individual, regardless of circumstance. They believe that you made a choice when you were born, to which family you would be born and that the state of your body at birth depends entirely upon the deeds which you committed during your previous life.



The insidious nature of this idea doesn't rear it's ugly face until the first time that you get into trouble in Scientology: the first time you sneeze, or cough, or catch the flu. After so many times of being told that your condition is your fault you start learn how Scientologists really feel about the poor, the underprivileged, the hungry, the ill and the disabled. They blame children who are born mentally challenged or deformed for their condition.

This becomes even more insidious because of the idea of reincarnation within Scientology. Scientologists truly believe that someone with a sick or malformed body would be better off dying and being reborn in a fresh body. You often hear them talking about how their bodies become useless once they can no longer hold the cans of an e-meter.

There is a morbid side to Scientology which is often overlooked. In some cases it is glossed over, with only a brief reference to the idea of "pulled it in". Scientology is heavily focused on this thing called the "reactive mind", which is supposedly this subconscious mind that makes life difficult for you. When you are removed, temporarily or permanently from the influence of said mind it is called a "key out". When said mind starts influencing your actions heavily it is called "restimulation".

People with chronic illnesses or dementia or deformities are said to be "restimulated". Death is seen as a "key out" and can be a good thing. You see if you die, you are "keyed out" of your reactive mind and you come back with a fresh start in a healthy body. Assuming of course you have received Scientology's help before you died.

This dark side of Scientology removes human compassion. It serves to destroy empathy and creates a horrible shell of a human who no longer feels for the sufferings of his own kind but instead blames it on themselves. It is assumed that when something bad happens to anyone it is their fault for the crimes they have committed. Whether it be a car getting stolen, contracting cancer, being murdered, mentally ill or born with a deformity.

This is why I compare Scientology to Westboro Baptists and similar hate groups. They all suffer from the same form of dehumanizing programming. This is why child abuse and neglect is rampant in the Sea Org. This is why people can be so heartlessly disconnected from their families. This is why you will hear Scientologists, in private of course, talking about how some people are better off dead.

This is why I wanted to kill myself for a short period of time. I thought it might key me out. After all that is what my Scientology teaching taught me. The only reason I had not to kill myself was because I might be seen as a coward, for not wanting to face what I was going through. For a short time I toyed with the idea, but then I studied outside of my religion and started to get to know people who weren't Scientologists.

Around 19 years old I started to learn that Scientology wasn't the only way. I decided that one day I would find another way. I did this quietly, so quietly I almost tricked myself into thinking I hadn't even made the decision. But the decision had been made, no matter how deep in my mind it was buried.

There is no creativity in Scientology. There is no love. There is no compassion or caring. There is only Scientology and money. That is all that ever mattered when I was in there. There is no value put on human life. You are expected to work until you die and then come back and work some more; without thanks remuneration or praise.

10 comments:

  1. This is very true.
    A dehumanizing programming of the worst kind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Derek - another beautifully articulate post exorcising some of your (very righteous) anger and pain. Exceptional.

    You write:

    "Any suffering is automatically deemed to be the fault of the individual, regardless of circumstance. They believe that you made a choice when you were born, to which family you would be born and that the state of your body at birth depends entirely upon the deeds which you committed during your previous life."

    There are many New Age schools of thought (and a few of the ancient major religions) that vamp on variations of this concept, but none that I know of interpret it in such an extreme, ruthless light as Scientology. It's lack of compassion is startling, and is in stark contrast to the vapid, welcoming smiles on the faces of those who rope people in to the cult. Behind those smiles is emptiness, a black hole devoid of everything good which makes us human. That is what is so scary about it...most major religions strive for its adherents to emulate a God of unconditional love. In Scientology, all love is rigorously conditional.

    And this, from the most "ethical people on the planet."

    Hope someday you blog on the Scientology concept of fair exchange and how it deems that charity and kindness are weaknesses. That stuff sends chills down my spine.

    Great work, Derek....keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAS IT OCCURRED TO ANYONE THAT DM MIGHT HAVE SYPHILIS?

      Delete
  3. Derek, this is chilling and painful. You are keenly perceptive in noting that the absence of emotions and of empathy take away our souls and all the innate goodness within us.
    Your deeper conscious emerged, thankfully, and then you blow me away with this.
    "I decided that one day I would find another way. I did this quietly, so quietly I almost tricked myself into thinking I hadn't even made the decision. But the decision had been made, no matter how deep in my mind it was buried."
    whew - you are amazing.
    Aquaclara

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are brave and eloquent, Derek. This aspect of Scientology is particularly unbearable for me to contemplate, as I am physically disabled and a dearly-loved relative and a friend are both mentally disabled. It is wicked to make someone feel that his/her shortcomings and failures are "made flesh" through illness and disability! Even a cold could destroy a Scientologist's self-esteem and instill a really terrible guilt.

    I am so thankful you didn't key out on us. Instead, it sounds like your decision to leave Scientology was made at an almost cellular level. I can only agree with Aquaclara that you are amazing.

    MarionDee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep speaking out! People are hearing you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your new site Derek. Now I'm signed to get your posts hopefully.
    I will try to comment again. Love you, Dee

    Trying again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great video Derek, Love your voice, what a great radio voice. Thank you for revealing the true Dark side of this cult. You lay it out and tell it as it really is.
    You will and are helping many people, through your sincerity, honesty and intelligence. Thank you with love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll go with that.
    I believe that every bad thing that ever happened to me was caused by me and is my own fault.
    If I am tempted to balme someone else it is my own fault for allowing that person into my orbit.
    Simple

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So if your child is born with a birth defect he deserves it because he is evil? Because that is what Scientology teaches...

      You should go check Scientology out. Might be the thing for you.

      Delete

Comments, questions or suggestions? Leave them here!